Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week Two {Day One & Two} ...

Yesterday there wasn't much done out on the house. They took off the concrete forms from the foundation and  were supposed to do the foundation coating and water proofing as well but because of the rain Nick had to call them off. Our lower level plumbing also got started, which is exciting! This morning, bright and early Nick went out there and put foam along the walkout wall of the basement. This had to be done before our first foundation inspection which was today, and we was passed that with flying colors! Tomorrow will be our first lower level plumbing inspection as well. 

I haven't been out to the property since the weekend. It's been super hot & dusty and I haven't wanted to tackle it with both boys. Nick took this picture last night with his phone. 


Building a house literally consumes your every thought {well, whatever thoughts I have left outside of my two babies...which let me tell you, on most days isn't much!}. It's very much like when your pregnant, or planning your wedding, and it's ALL you can think about. It's so exciting, I love the anticipation and am so eager, but it's also really overwhelming at the same time. You don't even realize how much goes into building a house until you are doing it...from light fixtures, to plumbing fixtures, to flooring, appliances, interior and exterior paint, doors, windows, fireplaces, siding, shingles, and the list goes on. Not to mention the fact that Nick designed and drew our house plans himself {this was months of work trying to draw the *perfect* house for our growing family} and his company is building it so he is also overseeing the whole project! We have fixed up two houses together and this is so much different. With those we were able to live in them and slowly fix them up as we went. But with building you  have to have it all at once! It's been so fun picking everything out I just hope it all meshes well together and the look that I am envisioning for our new house all comes together. I am not, by any means, a good decorator. It just is NOT something that comes naturally to me so I am really trying this time around {with A LOT of help from my wonderful big sister, who has excellent taste!}. Here is one {very small} new thing I bought for the new house a few weeks back. I loved the colors!


 It's sitting out on the island in the kitchen and is a great reminder of what is yet to come!

3 comments:

  1. I say you and I go shopping together like we did for Westchester :) We can pick up some good pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Building a brand new house sounds amazing, but I can totally see how it would be overwhelming. Even when we redid our bathroom, we had to make a lot of decisions- and that was just one room!

    I'm sure that you'll be able to create the feel that you're hoping for in the new house. In terms of decor, just remember that most things you can change out eventually if you don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should post pictures of things you need help picking out and we can all help :) What an exciting adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete